Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Band Of Brothers - Budget Question.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Matt J Heaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2000
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have been watching this superb series every week, as have most of you I'm sure. But what puzzeled me is how they have created so much with a budget that is less than for Saving Private Ryan.

    I think this series cost something like $100k - I assume SPR cost more. But how? There is close to 10 hours here, filled with all kinds of spectucular battles, including tank vs tank and bombing of a small town.

    It seems as though this is a much larger production, although I'm sure the opening sequence from SPR cost more than any scene from the TV series.

    Tom Hanks couldn't have cost that much.

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member deanl's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2000
    Posts
    1,082
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey there.

    I think you will find it was more like a 100 million mate.

    The series cost a fortune. Funded by the BBC and HBO.

    I think you just got your wires crossed.

    Despin out.

    ------------------
    "Ive got bad feeling about this."

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Matt J Heaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2000
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sorry, that was a typo. I know it was million and not thousand. Yep, most expensive TV series ever.

    But my question is how can so much have been made for less than SPR?
    What they have created seems like it would cost much more than that movie.

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member deanl's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2000
    Posts
    1,082
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey there.

    Well they didnt have to pay Hanks and Spielberg tens of millions this time because this is there gig to start with. This tv series is realy CG heavy. So maybe they saved money there.

    Despin out.


    ------------------
    "Ive got bad feeling about this."

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Thousanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2001
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This was the most expensive mini-series ever made, 120 million

    ------------------
    My hit list, second draft:
    1. Generic 2. Chance1234 3. ilpostino 4. Ralph Snart 5. andy_winton 6. Kathy S. 7. Littlerich 8. foolmaster 9. Wolfwood 10. GrizzAdams

  6. #6
    Inactive Member SouthWalesFilmClub's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 2000
    Posts
    56
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Band of Brothers cost 120 million dollars.

    Saving Private Ryan only cost 70 million dollars.

    ------------------

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Matt J Heaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2000
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well shit, I thought SPR would have cost more than that.

    I suppose the whole crew was probably cheaper than those who worked on SPR.

    ------------------

  8. #8
    Inactive Member davidsanction's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2001
    Posts
    49
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    They saved a lot of money by making the whole series on sets on one location in England (Hertfordshire, I think).

    I think it's exactly what I would have expected from a Spielberg and Hanks team-up. I would've prefered something more realistic and closer in tone to, say, Full Metal Jacket.

    "I didn't wanna let nobody down. Life is like a box of choc-o-lates." Hmmm...

    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by davidsanction (edited November 10, 2001).]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Matt J Heaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2000
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What was so unrealistic about it?

    ------------------

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Thousanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2001
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Stanley Kubrick filmed most of FMJ in an old building complex they were tearing down just down the street from his house.

    ------------------
    My hit list, third draft.
    1. Despin Entertainment 2. Kathy S. 3. Skin 4. Chance1234 5. Littlerich 6. miker 7. foolmaster 8. Mods 9. eddie 10. GrizzAdams

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •